Formerly known as Price Control Division and Consumer Affairs Division. On 1 August 2017, the Department of Competition and Consumer Affairs achieved a milestone where it merged with the Competition Division under the Department of Economic Planning and Development.
Enhanced market efficiency and consumer welfare.
Effective implementation and enforcement of consumer protection and price control laws.
Price Control Act, Chapter 142:
- Setting maximum price of the 4 price controlled items and 13 categories of essential food items during festive season.
- Business compliance inspection and enforcement.
Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Order, 2011
- Handling consumers' complaints within the scope of the 2 laws.
- Promoting Smart Consumer culture through media, mobile app and website, business engagement.
- Price comparison - Compilation of price data on selected essential goods for publication.
- To promote and protect fair trading within the market;
- To develop comprehensive and coordinated consumer awareness and education programmes at all level;
- To promote and protect fair competition within the market; and
- To enhance human capacity building.
Competition and Consumer Affairs Department
The Competition and Consumer Affairs Department (CCAD) is the agency responsible for protecting consumers through enforcing the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Order, 2011 (CPTFO).